It is our policy that Hilperton Primary School should remain open whenever possible. In the event of very bad weather causing closure of the school, the following will apply;
- If possible the decision about whether or not the school will close will be made by 7.15am;
- The school will use class Dojo, and the e-mail/text system to let you know if the school is closed.
- Please DO NOT telephone the school office for information. There may not be any staff here or we will need the line free for making emergency calls to outside agencies, local authority and to parents.
- The school will remain closed until it is safe to reopen. We will update class Dojo each day to let you know what the situation is.
- Once the school is re-opened please note that the road leading to school (Newleaze) can be very icy and dangerous to drive on in bad weather. If you are driving we recommend that you park elsewhere and walk to school.
- In the event of unforeseen bad weather, be prepared for the school to contact you via e-mail/text/Dojo and ask for children to be collected early. If you are not able to collect your child and you are asking another parent to do so please make sure that the school knows of this arrangement. We will not let any child go with anyone other than their parent (or person who usually collects them e.g. Granny etc.) unless we have heard from you.
- Please ensure that your contact details (including e-mail address and mobile phone numbers) are current and up to date in the school office.
- Please ensure that your child is dressed appropriately for the weather – it may be sensible to send them into school wearing wellies and pack their school shoes in their bag. You may want to send your child in with a change of clothes in case they get wet when playing in the snow or walking to school.
School Premises Daily Maintenance
- In the event of snow and/or ice, the school will endeavour to carry out the following procedures to the best of their ability:
- The main vehicle entrance and staff entrance to the school will be gritted before staff arrive at school.
- Rock salt will be applied the school gate entrance on Newleaze.
- We will create a footpath leading from the school gate entrance to KS2 playground then to KS1 playground to enable the children to get safely to classrooms.
- If the playground is deemed too slippery for the children to play safely, the decision will be made by the Headteacher, Assistant Headteacher or a member of the Senior Leadership Team to hold break-time and lunchtime inside until the play surface is safer. This decision will only be made if we feel there is a risk to the children’s safety.