It is our policy that Hilperton Primary School should remain open whenever possible. In the event of very bad weather causing closure of the school, the following will apply;
- If possible the decision about whether or not the school will close will be made by 7.15am;
- The school will use the e-mail/text system to contact you (if you have not yet provided your e-mail address or mobile phone number please contact the school office with this information – in an emergency situation this is the most effective way of ensuring that we can contact you quickly. We would ideally like to be able to contact everyone in this way.)
- A message will be posted on our school website www.hilperton.wilts.sch.uk
- Emergency information will be broadcast on BBC Radio Wiltshire and Heart FM. The radio stations will broadcast closure details every 15 minutes (approx.) before normal school hours. Both of these radio stations have a web site where lists of schools that are closed are updated so you can check these for current information. Please DO NOT telephone the radio stations since this will jam their lines.
- If possible a written notice will be placed on the school gates informing of any closure. Please make sure that pupils are accompanied to the gate so that you are aware of any closure.
- Please DO NOT telephone the school office for information. There may not be any staff here or we will need the line free for making emergency calls to outside agencies, local authority and to parents.
- The school will remain closed until it is safe to reopen. We will e-mail/text you each day to let you know what the situation is and update the school web site. We will not be able to individually contact parents who have not provided their e-mail or mobile phone number.
- Once the school is re-opened please note that the road leading to school (Newleaze) can be very icy and dangerous to drive on in bad weather. If you are driving we recommend that you park elsewhere and walk to school.
- In the event of unforeseen bad weather, be prepared for the school to contact you via e-mail/text and ask for children to be collected early. If you are not able to collect your child and you are asking another parent to do so please make sure that the school knows of this arrangement. We will not let any child go with anyone other than their parent (or person who usually collects them e.g. Granny etc.) unless we have heard from you.
- Please ensure that your contact details (including e-mail address and mobile phone numbers) are current and up to date in the school office.
- Please ensure that your child is dressed appropriately for the weather – it may be sensible to send them into school wearing wellies and pack their school shoes in their bag. You may want to send your child in with a change of clothes in case they get wet when playing in the snow or walking to school.
School Premises Daily Maintenance
In the event of snow and/or ice, the school will endeavour to carry out the following procedures to the best of their ability:
- The main vehicle entrance and staff entrance to the school will be gritted by our contractor before staff arrive at school.
- The contractor will also apply rock salt to the school gate entrance on Newleaze.
- The contractor will also create a footpath leading from the school gate entrance to KS2 playground then to KS1 playground which will be a pushchairs width.
- In the event of more severe ice or snow, the Local Authority will be contacted so they can grit Newleaze itself and some of the pavement.
- If the playground is deemed too slippery for the children to play safely, the decision will be made by the Headteacher, Deputy Head or a member of the Senior Leadership Team to hold break-time and lunchtime inside until the play surface is safer. This decision will only be made if we feel there is a risk to the children’s safety.